Thursday 27 September 2012

Salamander Big Band Concert

I knew about this concert from email. Since I subscribe to Wisma Jerman, they always send me an email whenever they hold an event. And this concert is one of interesting event that I like. Why? Because it's free :-D . Before I start about how cool the concert was, I will tell you about WHO is Salamander Big Band, in case, you never know about this band like me before.

Salamander Big Band was founded in 2006 by some jazz musicians and music lovers on Earth Sangkuriang, Bandung. In the following years they practice regularly and perform at various events such as the national jazz festival "JakJazz" and "JavaJazz". I've visited their official website  to get more information about them, but it seems still on progress. One thing that I know for sure, they're awesome,

The concert itself is  in celebration of its sixth anniversary of the Goethe-Institut. They organized a workshop and three concerts in Bandung, Surabaya and Jakarta. A young musician from the German city of Lübeck, Jann Hansen, working with Salamander Big Band for a month in the workshop program. While the composer Dieter Mack - also from Germany - invited by the Goethe-Institut to work with Salamander Big Band to prepare the peak concert dedicated in honor of Peter Herbolzheimer. Peter Herbolzheimer (31 December 1935[1] – 27 March 2010) was a German jazz trombonist and bandleader. Prof Mack said that Peter is the legend of Jazz from German.

Peter Herbolzheimer
The concert took place on Cultural Garden Building, Cak Durasim at 7 PM, September 21th . The concert was started on time. I was so curious, how the jazz concert will be. Since that was my first experience to see a jazz concert.
The concert was divided into two part. Opening song was Just Like that.

At the first time, I imagined my self would get bored. Since It's only instruments. But I was wrong! I was exited during the concert! It was amazing!
Sorry for the bad pics

Salamander Big Band Concert
They played many songs. Some of them also had vocalists. The vocalists were Mrs Nenden and Mr Gyle. One thing that special about Mrs Nenden is she is blind. But she has wonderful voice. When I heard she sang, I felt like somebody told me to believe that every person has their own talent, every person is special. And there's no reason to give up no matter what happened on us.

Beside her amazing voice, another thing that make me exited was Salamander Big Band itself. They played well. Oh, not well, I'm sorry. They are fabulous. Even when there was a solois part. Each person played perfectly, wether it was bass, or piano, or flute, trombone, saxophone or trumpet.

On the first part of the concert, they played Peter's creation or arrangement only. Such as, Just Like That, I Was You Love, Heat Land, Blues in Latin, Damn Their Eyes and Mis Your Highlander. Prof Dieter Mack, also told the audience during the concert that Peter Herbolzheimer also combine blues and swing on his music. On the second part, they played from other musician also, including Prof Dieter Mack. Sunda Jaive and Trave Line are Prof Dieter Mack's. Other songs were, Computer, one song from Bubby Chen (I'm sorry, I forget the title) and Smile. Smile is quite interesting since it was Charlie Chaplin's creation. I even recorded that part :-D 
here's the lyric
Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile



So what is the conclusion? I Love Jazz! I want more! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

jangan cuma baca, tapi komen juga ya